A Rebuttal on So-Called Useless Twitter Cat Updates

Written on November 19, 2007 – 6:49 am | by Brian's Cat |

Brian’s catGreetings all – thought I would start off by setting the record straight and rebut the post from Brian that Twitter is just for useless cat updates. Even Mashable seems to poke fun at my brethren.

Brian’s cat on Twitter

The nerve! You’ll find my not so useless Twittering activity here, as I am regarded as a thought leader in feline social media. People and cats alike are attuned to the microblogging that is Twitter.

Twitter

The concept of Twitter is sound, as are most projects started out by Evan Williams (Blogger, Twitter, Odeo), giving folks the ability to write as a quick stream of thought. It’s all about quick notes to self, dropping subtle hints, and bookmarking.

You can’t write more than 140 characters by design – anything beyond that is a blog post in the works. The thing I like best about Twitter is that it gives the ability to keep direct and constant communication with your friends, blog readers, and customers without needing to divert off focus with your blog.

Twitter might at first be perceived as noise when there is more than enough signal to keep you busy. There’s value in noise. Lots of value – and Twitter is a raw base for doing some very interesting data mining.

If you’re new to Twitter, check out the Newbie’s Guide to Twitter. Once you’re done with that, here are some other helpful pages to help you can acclimated to Twitter:

Resource List for Twitter

Some useful opinion posts that I’ve come across are 10e20′s Can Twitter Serve as Highly Targeted Marketing Tool?, Pronet’s Three Hidden Dangers of Twitter, and Trisignia’s Twitter and the Virginia Tech Emergency.

Interesting Folks to Follow

Interesting Companies to Follow

And cat updates, you ask? I can assure you that I am as real as any other imaginary cat. Be sure to follow me. Now I’m off to wreck Brian’s furniture. :)

1. 7 Responses to “A Rebuttal on So-Called Useless Twitter Cat Updates”

2. By Lisa on Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

Thanks for visiting my site. I love the idea of writing as your cat. My dog (sorry I am on the dark side) writes our Christmas letter every year.

Lisa

3. By John Sadler on Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

Sorry I am one of the millions who do not get Twitter yet. Ed Dale keeps telling us how good it is to be a part of but I have yet to make sense of the daily ‘what I am doing right now’ way it is used.

4. By Tad Chef on Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

Meow!!!

5. By Brian's Cat on Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

@lisa: no problem. It’s a lot of fun, but hey – ditch the dog :)

@john: try these things:
    1 – follow 10 people and 5 companies that you find interesting and are active in Twitter.
    2 – either login to Twitter often or find an app that shows you real-time updates from your friends, such as 8hands.
    3 – try to post some ideas and things you’re thinking about and converse with other Twitter folks with the @ communication.

@tad: those be fighting words! Hiss Hiss!

6. By SexySEO on Nov 20, 2007 | Reply

Can I strock you? ;)

7. By courier1009 on Nov 21, 2007 | Reply

You have got to be kidding me… How freakin narcissistic can a person be? Are we done yet? Please?

Nice lookin imaginary cat BTW…

8. By Brian's Cat on Nov 22, 2007 | Reply

@sexyseo: lol

@courier1009: you’ve got to love the imaginary cat.