A Rebuttal on So-Called Useless Twitter Cat Updates
The nerve! You’ll find my not so useless Twittering activity here, as I am regarded as a thought leader in feline social media. People and cats alike are attuned to the microblogging that is Twitter.
The concept of Twitter is sound, as are most projects started out by Evan Williams (Blogger, Twitter, Odeo), giving folks the ability to write as a quick stream of thought. It’s all about quick notes to self, dropping subtle hints, and bookmarking.
You can’t write more than 140 characters by design – anything beyond that is a blog post in the works. The thing I like best about Twitter is that it gives the ability to keep direct and constant communication with your friends, blog readers, and customers without needing to divert off focus with your blog.
Twitter might at first be perceived as noise when there is more than enough signal to keep you busy. There’s value in noise. Lots of value – and Twitter is a raw base for doing some very interesting data mining.
If you’re new to Twitter, check out the Newbie’s Guide to Twitter. Once you’re done with that, here are some other helpful pages to help you can acclimated to Twitter:
Resource List for Twitter
- Caroline’s Big Juicy Twitter Guide
- Interview with Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter
- Twitter Etiquette
- Twitter Fan Wiki
- Twitterholic – listing of the top 100 Twitter users based on number of followers
- Twitterverse – searchable tag cloud on what people are Twittering
- Twittervision – map of the world
- Use Twitter as a Timer
Some useful opinion posts that I’ve come across are 10e20′s Can Twitter Serve as Highly Targeted Marketing Tool?, Pronet’s Three Hidden Dangers of Twitter, and Trisignia’s Twitter and the Virginia Tech Emergency.
Interesting Folks to Follow
- cGt2099 – banned digger as of late
- ev – Evan Williams, co-founder of Twitter
- ICHCHeezburger – fellow cat blogger, icanhascheezburger
- Robert Scoble – top blogger and prolific Twitter user
- Steve Rubel – of micropersuasion.com – media marketing goodness
- Tamar – social media junkie par excellence
Interesting Companies to Follow
And cat updates, you ask? I can assure you that I am as real as any other imaginary cat. Be sure to follow me. Now I’m off to wreck Brian’s furniture.